Update application with no Updater Agent

Topics: Developer Forum
Sep 27, 2007 at 8:57 PM
I am trying to make my application self updating without the use of the updater agent. So far, I am able to detect available updates, download them and install them. That was not to hard. I am having trouble with the senario in which the user decides they don't want to install (activate) the downloaded .CAB file.

It seems to me that when then CheckForUpdates method is called the PendingUpdatesDetected event would fire if .CAB files have already been downloaded but not activated. This is not happening, instead it acts like the download never occured.

If I look in my file system before I retsart my application, I see the downloaded .CAB file but I is gone (deleted) after I call the CheckForUpdates method.

Hopefully, I am missing something trivial. If anyone has had success in implementing this type of scenario, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Sep 27, 2007 at 11:33 PM
I figured it out. The problem was between the keyboard and the chair. A classic ID-10-T error. I was not subscribing to the PendingUpdatesDetected event until AFTER the call to chaeck for updates.

Solution: Wire up the events before calling the method that will fire them.