Forced or Optional Updates

Topics: Developer Forum
Nov 11, 2006 at 11:36 AM
Hi Guys,

Firstly contragulations on getting this block out there!! It's been a major problem and obstacle to get mobile applications accepted within my organisation and now there's no excuse!!!

I've implemented the Update Agent into my application but i was wondering, would there be a way to use the manufest to tell the software whether an update is manditory or optional ?

What would be your suggestions about how to go about extending the block to include this functionality.

Thanks again for great work !

Many Thanks

John
Nov 13, 2006 at 1:45 PM
John,

Both the in-process updater component and the manifest schema support a boolean “mandatory” attribute. It can be used to inform the application about the obligatory character of certain apps. Later, the app should take a decision based on that attribute.

However, the current release (1.0.0) doesn’t offer support at the Updater Agent level for mandatory / optional manifests, but it is in our future releases feature list.

I would like to ask you to tell us a little bit more about what sort of behavior you expect from the updater. This way we can suggest an alternative to accomplish that goal with the existing code and a little of extension.

By the way, here is a link to the documentation of the desktop updater block; look for “Mandatory or optional updates” here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms978541.aspx

Hernán.